To make a standing paper towel holder, you need a wooden dowel, a wooden square base, a drill with a bit that’s slightly larger than your dowel, wood glue, and some sandpaper.
The process involves drilling a hole in the wooden base, sanding the dowel and base, applying glue in the hole, and setting the dowel in place.
A standing paper towel holder is a practical addition to any kitchen. It allows you to easily tear off a piece of paper towel without the roll unraveling or moving around.
Making your own standing paper towel holder at home allows you to customize it to match your kitchen decor and saves money compared to buying a pre-made one.
Making a standing paper towel holder is an easy project that anyone can take on. All you need is a few basic tools and materials, and a bit of patience.
Once it’s done, it will be a practical and stylish addition to your kitchen. Plus, you can take pride in knowing that you made it yourself!
6 Steps to Make a Standing Paper Towel Holder
|Step No.||Materials Needed||Instructions|
|1||Wood board, Saw||Cut a wood board into a base (around 6×6 inches) and a pole (around 13 inches tall).|
|2||Sandpaper||Sand the cut pieces of wood till they are smooth.|
|3||Drill, Screw||Drill a hole in the middle of the base. Screw the pole into the hole, ensuring it’s straight up.|
|4||Paint, Paintbrush||Paint the stand in your color of choice. Let it dry completely.|
|5||Paper towel roll||Place the paper towel roll on the standing holder.|
|6||Your standing paper towel holder is now ready for use.|
Five Facts About DIY Standing Paper Towel Holders
Getting Started: Materials Needed And Preparation
If you’re tired of paper towels taking up valuable counter space in your kitchen, a standing paper towel holder might be just what you need.
Crafting your own paper towel holder is a fun and easy diy project that is sure to impress. To get started on your diy standing paper towel holder project, you will need the following materials:
Materials Required For The Project
- Three pieces of wood (2×2 inches) with a length of 12 inches each
- A threaded rod, with a length of 16 inches
- A (wing) nut and washer that fits the rod
- Sandpaper, medium and fine grit
- Varnish, wood stain or paint of your choice
- Wood glue
The first step in making your standing paper towel holder is to cut your 2×2 wood pieces to size. Cut one piece to 12 inches long for the base and the other two pieces to 11 inches long for the vertical supports.
Use medium sandpaper on all the cut pieces to smooth out any rough edges. Then, use fine sandpaper to smoothen the surfaces of the wood pieces even further.
Next up, it’s time to apply the varnish, wood stain or paint of your choice. If you prefer a natural look, you can also choose to leave the wood untreated.
Whatever you choose, ensure that all the pieces are coated evenly and allowed to dry properly before continuing with the project.
With the wooden pieces prepped, it’s time to assemble the standing paper towel holder. Begin by positioning the two vertical supports on either end of the base piece.
Using a generous amount of wood glue, attach them securely and let them dry for a few hours.Once dry, drill a hole in the center of the base, making sure it’s big enough to fit the threaded rod through.
Insert the threaded rod through the base and the vertical supports, making sure it’s straight and secure.
At the top of the threaded rod, attach a (wing) nut and washer to hold everything in place. Tighten the nut with a wrench, but be careful not to strip the wood.Congratulations! You have just created your very own standing paper towel holder.
Now you can place the holder in the desired location and add a new roll of paper towels. With a little bit of diy ingenuity, you can create a functional and stylish addition to your kitchen.
Step-By-Step Guide To Building Your Own Paper Towel Holder
Step 1: Cutting The Wooden Planks
To build a standing paper towel holder, you need to start with the base.
Here is a step-by-step guide to get started:
- Gather all the required materials such as a wooden plank, measuring tape, saw, and pencil.
- Measure the wooden plank according to your desired size for the base using a measuring tape.
- Mark the plank with a pencil using the measurements.
- Cut the wooden plank according to the markings you made using a saw.
Step 2: Sanding And Smoothing The Planks
Now that you have the base, it’s time to sand and smooth it.
Follow these steps:
- Sand the plank until it feels smooth to the touch.
- Use wood filler on any rough patches or knots in the wood and sand it again.
- Polish the plank with a fine-grit sandpaper for a finished look.
Step 3: Constructing The Base
With the planks looking great, it’s time to start building the base of the paper towel holder.
Follow these steps:
- Place the wooden plank on a flat surface and attach two long planks to the sides of the base for added support.
- Screw in the planks at the base to keep them in place.
- The base should now be stable and able to support the paper towel holder.
Step 4: Building The Upright Post
Now that you have the base, it’s time to create the upright post that will hold the paper towel.
Follow these steps:
- Cut a long piece of wooden plank to be the upright post for the paper towel holder.
- Sand the plank until it feels smooth to the touch.
- Attach the upright post to the base using screws and a drill.
- The post should be firmly attached to the base and be straight, ready to hold the paper towel.
Step 5: Attaching The Paper Towel Holder To The Upright Post
Finally, it’s time to attach the paper towel holder to the upright post.
Here are the steps:
- Measure the diameter of the paper towel holder and mark the middle of the upright post.
- Drill a hole in the middle of the upright post that is slightly smaller than the paper towel holder’s diameter.
- Slide the paper towel holder onto the upright post and make sure it is firmly in place.
- The paper towel holder should now be securely mounted on the upright post.
Congratulations! You have successfully created your own standing paper towel holder.
Tips And Tricks For Customizing Your Paper Towel Holder
A standing paper towel holder is an essential tool for every kitchen and bathroom. It provides convenience and accessibility, reducing the need to search for paper towels scattered across countertops or drawers.
Fortunately, customizing this item is a simple task, making it easier to match your personal style and preferences.
Here are some tips and tricks to enhance your paper towel holder:
Choosing The Right Stain Or Paint Finish For Your Space
One of the easiest ways to customize a paper towel holder is to match the color or finish to your room’s existing decor.
If you’re a lover of natural wood, you can leave the holder unfinished or use a clear coat to highlight its natural grains.
On the other hand, applying a coat of paint is a perfect way to match the holder to your kitchen or bathroom’s theme.
Here are some options to consider when choosing the right finish:
Staining your holder is a great option if you want to maintain a natural look while adding some personality to your holder.
You can choose from different types of stains, such as water-based or oil-based, to achieve various results.
Water-based stains may give the wood a lighter finish, while oil-based ones provide a darker and more durable finish.
Using paint is a classic way of adding personality to your paper towel holder. Choose a color that matches your space’s theme and mood, then use a paintbrush or spray paint to coat your holder.
You can use chalk paint, matte, glossy, or semi-gloss paint based on your preference.
Another way to customize your holder is by applying a dual finish – using a combination of paint and stain. This can add an extra layer of texture and depth to your holder.
Adding Decorative Details And Accents
Customizing your holder with decorative details is another way to enhance its aesthetic appeal.
Here are some ideas to inspire you:
- Use stencils: Stenciling is a fun and effective way of adding detail to your paper towel holder. You can use stencils to add elegant patterns, shapes, or even words to your holder. Consider using alphabet stencils to write words like ‘kitchen’ or ‘bath’ on your holder to indicate its designated room.
- Add knobs or hooks: Adding knobs or hooks to your holder can not only add practicality but can also serve as a decorative element. Consider attaching a hook to your holder to hang kitchen towels or even oven mitts.
- Use decorative tapes: Using decorative tapes can add an extra layer of detail and personality to your holder. You can use washi tapes or patterned masking tapes to add stripes, polka dots, or other designs to your holder.
Adjusting The Height Of Your Paper Towel Holder To Meet Your Needs
Lastly, adjusting the height of your paper towel holder is essential to ensure it meets your specific needs. For instance, you may need a taller holder if you have larger paper towel rolls, or a shorter one if you have a limited space.
Here are some tips on how to adjust your holder to suit your needs:
- Determine the ideal height: Measure the height of your cabinet or countertop where you want to place your holder. Then, add a few inches to accommodate the height of your paper towel roll.
- Use adjustable rods: Some paper towel holders come with adjustable rods that allow you to move the holder up or down depending on your needs.
- Diy adjustable height: If your holder doesn’t come with an adjustable rod, you can make one by using a dowel and drilling two holes on either side of the holder. Simply insert the dowel into the holes and adjust the height as needed.
Customizing your paper towel holder is a fun and easy way to add personality to your kitchen or bathroom.
Whether you choose to add decorative details, change the finish, or adjust the height, you’ll end up with a holder that perfectly suits your needs.
Essential Maintenance And Cleaning Instructions For Your Standing Paper Towel Holder
If you have recently made a standing paper towel holder, congratulations! It’s an excellent addition to any kitchen or dining area.
However, to ensure that it stays sturdy and functional for a long time, proper maintenance is necessary. We will discuss essential cleaning and maintenance tips for your standing paper towel holder.
Proper Cleaning And Maintenance Techniques
- Regularly clean your standing paper towel holder with a damp cloth and mild soap to prevent dust buildup.
- Dry it thoroughly with a clean towel before using it again.
- If the paper towel holder is made of stainless steel, use a stainless steel cleaner to restore its shine and prevent rusting.
- Avoid using abrasive cleaners or scrubbers that can cause scratches or damage the surface of the holder.
- Keeping the holder away from moisture is key to preventing rusting and ensuring its longevity.
Troubleshooting Common Issues
- If you notice that the standing paper towel holder is wobbling, check the base for any loose screws or bolts. Tightening them can stabilize the holder.
- The tension spring that holds the paper towel roll may not work efficiently after a while, causing the towels to unravel. Consider replacing it with a new one.
- If the holder becomes unstable due to prolonged use, you can adjust the base by slightly shifting it to a different angle to balance it.
Tips For Long-Term Durability
- Avoid overloading the paper towel holder with a large number of paper towels, as it can cause the holder’s tension spring to wear out more quickly.
- Ensure that the base of the holder is wide enough to accommodate the length and weight of the paper towel roll.
- Protect the holder from external factors like water or spillage as it can make it rust faster.
- Regular maintenance and cleaning will keep your paper towel holder in excellent condition for a long time.
Making a standing paper towel holder is easy, but maintaining it requires some effort. With these cleaning and maintenance tips, you can keep your paper towel holder clean, stable, and long-lasting.
FAQ On Making A Standing Paper Towel Holder
How Do I Make A Standing Paper Towel Holder?
To make a standing paper towel holder, you need a dowel, base, finial, and drill. Drill a hole in the center of the base, insert dowel, and attach the finial at the top.
What Is The Best Material For A Paper Towel Holder?
The best material for a paper towel holder is wood. It is durable and easy to work with. You can also customize its design according to your preferences.
Can I Make A Paper Towel Holder Without A Drill?
Yes, you can make a paper towel holder without a drill. You can use glue, nails, or screws to attach the parts together. But a drill gives a better finishing touch.
How Do I Clean A Wooden Paper Towel Holder?
To clean a wooden paper towel holder, wipe it with a damp cloth and mild detergent. Avoid harsh chemicals and do not soak it in water. Apply mineral oil for protection.
How Do I Decorate A Standing Paper Towel Holder?
You can decorate a standing paper towel holder by painting or staining it. You can also add accessories like tassels, ribbons, or decorative knobs. Use your creativity to make it unique.
We hope this article inspired you to create your own standing paper towel holder. By using just a few items, you can make a functional and aesthetically pleasing addition to your kitchen or bathroom.
Remember to take measurements and plan accordingly before starting your project. Whether you choose to use a wooden dowel or pvc pipe, the process is the same.
Cut, glue, and paint to your desired look. You can even add additional embellishments like decorative knobs or painting designs.
Making your own standing paper towel holder is a great way to save money while adding a personal touch to your home.
With the right tools and some creativity, you can make a functional and stylish statement piece for your space.