Creative and Eco-Friendly Uses for Paper Towel Rolls
Paper towel rolls, often discarded after the paper towels have been used, can be repurposed in various ways.
By finding alternative uses for these rolls, we can reduce waste and engage in eco-friendly practices while also having fun and getting creative.
Crafting DIY organizers and storage solutions with paper towel rolls can declutter your space in an eco-friendly way. Cut the rolls into smaller sections and use them to organize cords, jewelry, or small office supplies.
Additionally, you can create a homemade toy or game by decorating the roll and cutting out shapes for children to play with. In the garden, paper towel rolls can be used to create biodegradable seedling starters, encouraging sustainable gardening practices.
Lastly, transform the rolls into decorative and festive items such as wreaths, candleholders, or napkin rings for special occasions, giving a personal touch to your celebrations.
8 Activity With Paper Towel Rolls
|Telescope||Paper towel roll, markers, stickers||Decorate the paper towel roll and use it as a pretend telescope.|
|Marble Run||Paper towel rolls, tape, marbles||Cut the rolls in half lengthwise, tape them together, and create a path for the marbles to run down.|
|Napkin Rings||Paper towel roll, scissors, glue, fabric, ribbon||Cut the roll into small pieces, wrap them in fabric, and add a ribbon to create napkin rings.|
|Bird Feeder||Paper towel roll, peanut butter, birdseed, string||Cover the roll with peanut butter, roll it in birdseed, and hang with string for a homemade bird feeder.|
|Organizers||Paper towel rolls, cardboard box, glue or tape||Glue or tape together paper towel rolls inside a cardboard box to create a desk organizer for pens, pencils, and other supplies.|
|Kazoo||Paper towel roll, wax paper, rubber band||Cover one end of the roll with wax paper and secure with a rubber band. Blow into the open end to make noise.|
|Plant Seedling Pots||Paper towel rolls, scissors, soil, seeds||Cut the roll into small segments, fold in the bottom, fill with soil, and plant seeds for starting seedlings.|
|Rain Sticks||Paper towel roll, aluminum foil, rice or dry beans, tape||Fill the roll with crinkled aluminum foil and rice or beans, then tape the ends closed. Tip the roll from end to end to create a rain sound effect.|
Five Facts About Activity With Paper Towel Rolls
Create Diy Home Decor
Paper towel rolls can be a fun material to work with when creating diy home decor. There are many ways you can transform an ordinary paper towel roll into a unique piece that can add character to your living space.
Here are a few creative ideas:
Make Wall Art By Cutting The Tubes Into Different Lengths And Gluing Them Together
Creating wall art with paper towel rolls is an inexpensive way to add personality to your home. By cutting paper towel rolls into different lengths, you can create a unique design that reflects your style.
Here are the steps to create your own:
- Flatten the paper towel roll and cut it into equal sections.
- Cut each section into different lengths.
- Arrange the sections in a pattern of your choice, and glue them together.
- Let it dry completely, and then paint it to match your home decor.
- Hang it on the wall and enjoy your new piece of art!
Turn The Tubes Into A Unique Wall Clock
You can use paper towel rolls to create a unique wall clock that is both stylish and functional.
- Flatten the rolls, and then cut them into small pieces of the same size.
- Arrange the pieces into a circular shape and glue them together.
- Add clock hands and a clock mechanism to complete the clock.
- Paint it in the style of your choice to match your home decor.
- Mount it on the wall and enjoy your handmade creation!
Create Holiday Decorations Such As Wreaths And Ornaments
With the holidays coming up, why not create some festive decorations using paper towel rolls?
Here are a few diy ideas:
- Wreath: Cut the rolls into equal pieces, and then glue them together into a circle shape. Paint it green, and then add some red and gold accents to create a holiday wreath.
- Ornaments: Cut the rolls into small pieces and then flatten them. Cut each flattened piece into a snowflake shape, and then paint it white. Add some glitter and a string to hang it on the tree.
With just a few materials, you can create unique diy home decor pieces and holiday decorations using paper towel rolls. Let your creativity run wild and see what you can come up with!
Organize Your Space
Are you tired of cluttered spaces? Say no more to misplaced items by upcycling your paper towel rolls. These cardboard tubes can be repurposed in many ways. Below are some ideas on how to use them to help organize your space.
Store Cables And Wires Inside The Tubes
Are tangled cables cluttering your workspace? Worry no more!
Below are some ways you can repurpose your paper towel rolls to organize your wires:
- Roll the cables and tuck them inside the tubes
- Label the tubes with the name of the device or wire
- Store the labeled tubes inside a drawer or a box
Keep Pens And Pencils Organized On Your Desk
Do you ever spend your precious time searching for a pen or pencil on a cluttered desk? Repurpose your paper towel rolls to create organized storage space for your writing utensils.
- Cut the roll in half
- Decorate the roll with your preferred design or color
- Store pens and pencils inside the decorated rolls
- Place the rolls in a cup or a jar on your desk
Use Them To Hold Kitchen Utensils And Cutlery
Do you have limited drawer space, or is your utensil box crammed with cutlery? Paper towel rolls will help keep your drawers organized, adding more room for storage.
Follow the steps below:
- Cut the rolls to your preferred height
- Decorate the rolls according to your kitchen’s theme
- Store the cutlery or utensils inside the tubes
- Place the tubes in the drawer or a box
Paper towel rolls are an eco-friendly solution to keep your space tidy. These repurposed tubes can create a fun diy project while keeping things organized. Give it a try and see the difference in your cluttered spaces!
Fun Crafts To Make With Kids
Have some spare paper towel rolls lying around the house and wondering what to do with them? Fear not, because there are numerous fun crafts that you and your kids can make using these simple materials.
Here are some ideas for turning paper towel rolls into creative and engaging projects that will keep your family entertained for hours.
Create A Fun Puppet Show By Decorating And Cutting The Tubes Into Characters
If you’re looking for an exciting indoor activity that encourages imagination and storytelling, try making puppets out of paper towel rolls.
Here are the steps you can follow:
- Gather paint, markers, and fabric scraps to decorate the rolls.
- Cut the rolls into different lengths, depending on the puppet characters you want to create.
- Draw or paint faces and costumes onto the rolls, using the materials you have chosen.
- Cut out additional pieces of paper and fabric to create hats, capes, or other costume pieces.
- Once the rolls are dry, use them as the heads for your puppets and attach them to sticks or wooden spoons to use as handles.
Encourage your kids to create characters and stories, and put on a fun puppet show for family and friends.
Make Binoculars For Your Next Adventure
If you have kids who love exploring the great outdoors, you can make your own binoculars out of paper towel rolls.
Here’s how to do it:
- Cut two paper towel rolls in half lengthwise, so that you have four long strips of cardboard.
- Paint or decorate the strips as desired.
- Tape or glue two of the strips together, side by side, using a piece of string or ribbon to create a strap.
- Repeat with the other two strips so that you have two “handles” connected by a strap.
- Hold up the handles to your eyes and use the strap to keep them in place.
You and your kids can use these homemade binoculars to explore the outdoors and spot birds, bugs, or other creatures.
Build A Marble Run By Stacking Tubes In Various Positions
Paper towel rolls can also be used to create a fun and engaging marble run for your kids.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Gather all your paper towel rolls.
- Cut some of the rolls lengthwise and flatten them out.
- Cut the rolls into different lengths to create obstacles and channels for the marbles to travel along.
- Use tape or glue to connect the rolls together, creating a run that zigzags back and forth.
- Experiment with different positions and angles to create twists, turns and drops in your run.
- Test out the run with marbles, adjusting the tubes as necessary to get the best result.
Building a marble run is a fun way to explore the laws of physics and engineering concepts, while also developing problem-solving skills.
Grow Your Own Garden
Grow Your Own Garden With Paper Towel Rolls
If you enjoy gardening and want to make use of recyclable materials, paper towel rolls are a great option. Here are some ways you can use them to grow your plants.
Start Seedlings Inside The Tubes Before Transplanting Outside
Starting seedlings in paper towel rolls is a fantastic way to help your plants grow stronger roots and create less waste.
Here’s how you can do it:
- Cut your paper towel rolls in half.
- Fill it with potting soil and sprinkle seedlings over it.
- Water your plants, let them soak in a shallow tray and place them in a sunny spot
- When the seedlings grow, you can transplant them outside with ease. The paper towel roll will decompose and add nutrients to the soil.
Use The Tubes As Planters For Small Flowers Or Herbs
Paper towel rolls make for great, biodegradable pots for tiny flowers and herbs.
Here’s a quick and easy way to create your pot:
- Cut a paper towel roll in half.
- Fill it with potting soil and your desired herb or flower.
- Water thoroughly, then leave it in a sunny spot.
If you want, you can even create a mini herb garden by arranging several of them in a tray.
Make Biodegradable Seedling Pots By Wrapping Dirt And Seeds In Tubes
If you want to reduce your waste and make biodegradable, nutrient-rich seedling pots, this method is perfect for you.
Here’s what to do:
- Cut paper towel rolls into small tubes, around 2 inches wide
- Fill the tube with potting soil and add seeds into it.
- Dip the tube into a bowl of water until the soil is completely damp
- Keep them in a sunny spot and when your plants have grown, you can transplant them outside in the soil.
Using paper towel rolls for your gardens is a fun and eco-friendly way to get creative with your plantings.
Paper Towel Rolls
Paper towel rolls can be used for a variety of crafting projects. The cardboard tube is a versatile and eco-friendly material that can be repurposed in many creative ways.
Here are some project ideas that make use of this basic craft supply:
- Diy bird feeder: Cut the paper towel roll into smaller cardboard pieces. Smear peanut butter all over the surface of the cardboard, then roll the peanut butter covered cardboard in birdseed. Hang the finished bird feeder in the garden or on a tree.
- Desk organizer: Cut the paper towel roll into smaller pieces. Glue them together to form a tall cylinder. Cover the outside of the cardboard cylinder with wrapping paper or paint it to give it a decorative touch. This will keep all your pens, pencils, and other desk supplies neatly organized.
- Napkin rings: Cut the paper towel roll into small rounds, about 1 inch wide. Paint or cover with wrapping paper and then decorate with mini presents, tinsel or lights. You will have a unique set of napkin rings to add a special touch to your dinner table.
Glue is an essential item for many crafting projects. It is easy to use and dries quickly, making it perfect for kids and adults alike.
Here are some crafting projects that require glue as a supply:
- Paper mache: Mix equal parts of glue and water to make a paste. Tear strips of newspaper and dip them in the glue mixture. Layer the strips onto a balloon, covering it completely. Once dry, pop the balloon and paint the paper mache with colorful paint.
- Picture frames: Cut the paper towel roll into smaller pieces, about 1-2 inches wide. Paint or cover with wrapping paper and glue them together to form a square or rectangular frame. Cut a piece of cardboard to fit the inside of the frame and glue your picture onto the cardboard.
- Snowflakes: Glue multiple cardboard tubes together to create a beautiful snowflake-like silhouette. When dry, you can paint or decorate it with glitter and lights to hang from the ceiling as a decoration.
Scissors are essential for most crafting projects and are used to cut materials such as paper, cardboard, and fabric.
Here are some creative projects made with paper towel rolls that require scissors:
- Christmas tree ornaments: Cut the cardboard roll into 1/2 inch pieces. Flatten the pieces and cut them into leaf-like shapes. Paint or decorate the leaves with tinsel and mini presents, glue them together to create a tree-shaped ornament.
- Halloween decorations: Cut the paper towel roll into small pieces and paint or cover with black cardboard or paper to make spiders. Cut thin black cardboard to make spider legs and glue them to the spider body.
- Flower wall art: Cut the roll into smaller pieces, then cut petal shapes out of the cardboard. Paint or decorate the petals and glue them together to make colorful flowers. Arrange the flowers together in a pattern and hang on the wall.
Paint Or Wrapping Paper
Paint or wrapping paper can be used to cover and decorate cardboard rolls in artistic and creative ways.
Here are some fun project ideas that require paint or wrapping paper:
- Pen holder: Cut the cardboard roll to desired length and paint or wrap it in your favorite color or design. Create a base by gluing a thick cardboard piece to the bottom to prevent the pens from falling out.
- Wall art: Paint the cardboard roll in your desired color, cut it in half lengthwise and spread them apart like butterfly wings. Add glitter or foam stickers to decorate.
- Fire breathing dragon: Paint the cardboard roll to resemble a dragon using green paint and yellow cardboard for the wings. Cut out a flame-shaped piece of red or orange cardboard to glue on the end for the fire.
Decorations Such As Miniature Presents, Lights, And Tinsel
Adding decorations to your paper towel roll projects can make them look more festive or give them added flair.
Here are some creative ways to add decorations to your cardboard roll creations:
- Gift box: Cut a paper towel roll slightly longer than desired and fold each end to create the flaps of a gift box. Paint or wrap the box in wrapping paper. Add ribbon, bows, or mini presents on top for an adorable effect.
- Mini chandelier: Cut the cardboard roll into smaller pieces, wrap them in tinsel or paint them in metallic colors. Glue ribbon or rope to the pieces and drape them from the ceiling, add some lights to create a dazzling decoration.
- Wreath: Collect a few cardboard rolls and cut them into smaller pieces, paint or wrap the pieces in green and glue them together in a wreath pattern. Decorate with tinsel, ribbon, or mini presents, and your beautiful wreath is ready to hang anywhere in your home or office.
Paper Towel Rolls Are Made From Recyclable Material
Did you know that paper towel rolls are made from recyclable material?
Here are some key points to consider regarding their environmentally-friendly advantages:
- By recycling paper towel rolls, you contribute to reducing waste in landfills
- Recycling paper reduces greenhouse gas emissions compared to producing new paper
- By using recycled paper products, trees can be preserved, and deforestation can be reduced.
They Are Biodegradable And Will Not Clog Sewage Systems
Another key advantage of paper towel rolls is that they are biodegradable and therefore, will not clog sewage systems.
Here are some key points to consider:
- Unlike plastic, paper towel rolls can disintegrate and break down naturally over time, causing no harm to the environment
- They do not contain harmful chemicals which could cause damage to our water supply or soil
- Paper towels are also not as prone to causing blockages in sewage systems as other materials that are slow to break down.
Using Paper Towel Rolls Reduces Dependency On Plastic Packaging
Did you know that paper towel rolls can be used as a substitute for some plastic packaging? By using paper towel rolls, we can reduce our dependency on plastic and contribute to a more sustainable future.
Here are some key points to consider:
- Paper towel rolls have the potential to replace plastic packaging for small items such as straws or utensils, and can therefore help to reduce plastic waste in landfills and oceans
- By using paper towel rolls, we can also reduce the amount of plastic that is produced and consumed, and this can help to reduce the environmental impact of plastic production.
- Using paper towel rolls for packaging can also save you money, as they are generally cheaper and more readily available than plastic alternatives.
By using paper towel rolls, we can make a positive contribution to the environment through recycling, biodegradability, and reducing our dependency on plastic. So the next time you have a paper towel roll, think about how you can get creative with it!
Paper Towel Rolls Are A Cost-Effective Alternative To Traditional Packaging
In today’s world, cutting down on expenses has become more crucial than ever. Therefore, choosing paper towel rolls as an alternative to traditional packaging can be a great cost-effective solution. Here are some ways in which paper towel rolls can be beneficial:
- They are affordable, making them an excellent option for small businesses with a tight budget.
- They can be bought in bulk, reducing the need for frequent purchases, helping to meet business needs while keeping expenses under control.
- They can be used in various packaging applications, reducing the need for specialized packing materials.
They Can Help Save Money By Reducing Waste And Promoting Sustainability
The most prominent benefit of using paper towel rolls is their environmental sustainability.
Here’s how they can help save money by promoting sustainability:
- Paper towel rolls are made from post-consumer recycled paper, which significantly reduces environmental impact by reducing the amount of waste being sent to the landfill.
- Recycling paper towels conserves valuable resources such as water and energy used in the production process, leading to significant cost savings.
- Companies that use environmentally friendly packaging can often charge more for their products as consumers are willing to pay for brands that promote sustainable practices, providing a significant monetary advantage.
Choosing Paper Towel Rolls Can Create A Positive Brand Image For Businesses
For businesses, choosing environmentally better options provides a chance to increase brand value.
Here are some ways that choosing paper towel rolls can help create a positive brand image:
- Companies that promote sustainability are viewed as socially responsible and trustworthy by customers, enhancing their reputation and attracting new customers.
- Customers often choose products that are quality-packaged, making paper towel roll packaging an excellent way to showcase product quality.
- Choosing paper towel roll packaging over conventional packaging allows companies to contribute to the global climate change fight, making it a positive action that helps distinguish them from competitors.
Paper towel rolls are a cost-effective alternative to traditional packaging that can help small businesses save money, promote sustainability, and create a positive brand image.
By implementing eco-friendly packaging practices and using recycled packaging materials, businesses can help prevent waste, conserve resources, and take action to reduce their environmental impact.
Cultural Significance And Origins
The Concept Of Paper Towels Dates Back To Ancient China And Japan
Paper towels have become a ubiquitous household item, and their origins can be traced back to ancient china and japan.
Here are some key points about their cultural significance and origins:
- The concept of paper as a commodity dates back to ancient china, where the first recorded use of paper dates back to the han dynasty (206 bc-ad 220).
- In ancient japan, people used handmade paper sheets called “washi” to clean their hands and faces.
- The paper towel as we know it was not invented until much later, but the idea of using paper as a disposable item has been around for centuries.
- The paper towel’s origins in china and japan highlight the importance of cleanliness and hygiene in these cultures.
The First Mass-Produced Paper Towels Were Created In 1907 By The Scott Paper Company
The widespread adoption of paper towels as a household item in the united states can be traced back to the early 20th century, when the scott paper company created the first mass-produced paper towels.
Here are some key points about this pivotal moment in paper towel history:
- The scott paper company, founded in 1879, was a leading manufacturer of sanitary paper products at the turn of the century.
- The company’s invention of the paper towel in 1907 was a game-changer, as it allowed for a more hygienic way of cleaning up spills and messes.
- The first paper towels were marketed to hotels and restaurants as an alternative to cloth towels, which were prone to bacterial growth.
- The invention of the paper towel paved the way for other innovations in disposable paper products, such as facial tissues and toilet paper.
Paper Towels Became Popular In The United States During World War Ii As A Hygienic Alternative To Cloth Towels
The popularity of paper towels soared during world war ii, as they were seen as a more hygienic alternative to cloth towels.
Here are some key points about the impact of the war on the use of paper towels:
- During the war, cloth towels were in short supply and were being used in hospitals to wipe down surgical instruments.
- The use of paper towels became more widespread as a way to prevent the spread of infectious diseases.
- The adoption of paper towels in hospitals during the war helped to establish their reputation as a more sanitary alternative to cloth towels.
- After the war, the widespread use of paper towels in hospitals and other public places helped to cement their place as a household item in the united states.
The concept of using paper as a disposable item for hygienic purposes can be traced back centuries, and the invention of the paper towel in the early 20th century revolutionized the way we clean up messes.
The popularity of paper towels during world war ii helped to establish their reputation as a more sanitary alternative to cloth towels and cemented their place in american households.
FAQ On Paper Towel Rolls
What Can You Make With Paper Towel Rolls?
Paper towel rolls can be made into bird feeders, desk organizers, gift boxes, and stamps.
How Do You Make A Bird Feeder With A Paper Towel Roll?
Cover the roll in peanut butter and birdseed, attach string, and hang outdoors.
Can Paper Towel Rolls Be Recycled?
Yes, paper towel rolls are made of cardboard and can be recycled like normal paper products.
How Can You Reuse Paper Towel Rolls In The Kitchen?
You can use them to organize cords, wrap cutlery for a picnic, or keep plastic bags tidy.
Paper towel rolls are a versatile material that can be transformed into creative diy projects. These rolls are more than just plain cardboard tubes. They can be turned into decorative wreaths, planters, and organizers, among other things.
By using your imagination and a few simple materials, you can repurpose these humble rolls into unique and useful items.
So next time you’re about to throw out a paper towel roll, think twice. Instead, consider how you can give it a second life. Not only will you be doing your part to reduce waste, but you’ll also be creating something that’s both functional and aesthetically pleasing.
So don’t let those paper towel rolls go to waste – try out some of these ideas and see what you can create!