A DIY outdoor paper towel holder can be a great addition to your outdoor space, providing convenience during barbecues and picnics.
You can create one using inexpensive materials such as a wooden dowel, rope, and a tin can.
Outdoor paper towel holders are incredibly practical for any outdoor event, in areas such as an outdoor kitchen, barbecue station, or picnic spot, and making one yourself allows for customization to suit your personal style.
These holders protect the paper towels from elements like wind and rain, while also ensuring they’re easily accessible when needed.
Outdoor activities and gatherings can get a little messy sometimes, and having an easily accessible paper towel holder can be a game-changer.
By creating a DIY outdoor paper towel holder, you not only get to showcase your creativity but also improve the functionality of your outdoor space.
Whether you’re grilling, having a picnic, or just enjoying some time outside, a DIY paper towel holder ensures you’ll always have cleaning materials at hand.
6 Creative DIY Outdoor Paper Towel Holder Ideas
|No.||DIY Outdoor Paper Towel Holder Ideas||Materials Needed||Difficulty Level|
|1.||Rustic Rope Towel Holder||A sturdy rope, a wooden dowel, hooks for hanging||Easy|
|2.||Repurposed Rake Head Holder||An old rake’s head, spray paint, screws||Medium|
|3.||Industrial Pipe Holder||Metal pipes, floor flanges, pipe caps, screws||Medium|
|4.||Wooden Dowel Holder||Wooden dowel, leather strips, screws||Easy|
|5.||PVC Pipe Towel Holder||PVC pipe, PVC cap, PVC coupler, adhesive||Easy|
|6.||Hanging Bucket Towel Holder||Metal bucket, chain or rope, hooks for hanging||Easy|
Five Facts About Making an Outdoor Paper Towel Holder
Why Build A Diy Outdoor Paper Towel Holder
If you’re someone who loves the great outdoors, having a paper towel holder outdoors is a must-have. A diy outdoor paper towel holder not only saves the time and effort of carrying paper towels from inside the house but also adds a touch of convenience to your outdoor activities.
Let’s take a look at some of the benefits of having a paper towel holder outdoors and the advantages of building your own holder.
Benefits Of Having A Paper Towel Holder Outdoors
- A paper towel holder keeps paper towels clean and dry when used outdoors, making it a hygienic option to clean up spills and messes.
- It saves the inconvenience of running inside your house to grab a paper towel every time you need it.
- Outdoor paper towel holders come in handy when grilling, picnicking, or gardening, making it easier to clean and wipe your hands in a jiffy.
Advantages Of Building Your Own Holder
- It’s a cost-effective option compared to buying a ready-made paper towel holder.
- You can customize it to your requirements and preferences, ensuring that it matches your outdoor décor.
- It’s an ideal option for those who enjoy diy projects, as building a paper towel holder can be a fun and satisfying experience.
Building a diy outdoor paper towel holder is a smart choice that offers a range of benefits. Not only does it save you time and effort, but it’s also an excellent way to showcase your creativity and skills.
Tools And Materials
Diy Outdoor Paper Towel Holder
If you’re someone who loves barbequing, making outdoor diy projects can be both fun and functional. A paper towel holder is perfect for outdoor cooking areas.
It’s convenient to have paper towels nearby for quick cleanups, and a holder keeps them in place and dry.
List Of All Necessary Tools And Materials Needed For The Project
Before you start making your paper towel holder, it’s important to have all the essential tools and materials.
- Drill with drill bits
- Measuring tape
- Exterior-grade plywood
- Exterior wood glue
- Exterior-grade screws
- Paint or stain
Description Of Each Tool And Material On The List
Now let’s dive deeper into each of the tools and materials we’ll be using, so you know what to expect.
- Saw: A saw is used to cut the plywood into the correct size and shape.
- Drill with drill bits: A drill is used to create holes for the screws and to drill pilot holes. The drill bits vary according to the size needed for the project.
- Measuring tape: A measuring tape is essential for taking correct measurements for the correct size of the holder.
- Pencil: A pencil is used to mark where cuts need to be made on the plywood and for markings where screws will be drilled.
- Sandpaper: Sandpaper is used to smooth rough edges on the wood, ensuring that the holder is sleek and easy to use.
- Clamps: Clamps are used to keep the wood in place while drilling and measuring, ensuring that the holder is drilled in the correct spots.
- Paintbrush: A paintbrush is essential for painting or staining the holder and applying polyurethane.
- Exterior-grade plywood: Exterior-grade plywood is water-resistant and weather-resistant, making it perfect for outdoor use.
- Exterior wood glue: Exterior wood glue is used to create a strong bond between the plywood pieces.
- Exterior-grade screws: These screws are specifically designed for outdoor use, being rust-resistant and durable.
- Paint or stain: Paint or stain is used to give the paper towel holder a polished appearance.
- Polyurethane: Polyurethane acts as a sealant and weatherproofs the holder, ensuring it lasts for a long time.
Tips On Where To Purchase The Tools And Materials
You can purchase the necessary tools and materials from various home improvement stores such as lowe’s, home depot, and menards.
You can also find them online on websites such as amazon. When purchasing, make sure that the materials are specifically for outdoor use to avoid any damage from exposure to the elements.
Having an outdoor paper towel holder can be both practical and attractive. With the right tools and materials, you can create a diy outdoor paper towel holder with ease. Just follow this guide, and you’re good to go!
To complete this diy outdoor paper towel holder project, you will need the following materials.
- Steel pipe
- Steel flange
- Steel end cap
Discussion Of Why Each Material Is Necessary
- Steel pipe: The steel pipe serves as the main structure of the paper towel holder. Steel pipes are durable, and they can support the weight of the paper towel.
- Steel flange: The steel flange is used to connect the steel pipe to the surface where you’ll install the paper towel holder. The flange provides stability and prevents the paper towel holder from falling.
- Steel end cap: The steel end cap is used to cover the ends of the steel pipe. You can use any shape and size of the steel end cap to match the style of your outdoor area.
- Screws: You’ll need screws to attach the steel flange to the surface where you’ll install the paper towel holder.
- Paint: Paint is optional, but it can add a pop of color or match the décor of your outdoor area. You can use any spray paint designed for metal surfaces.
Tips On Where To Buy High-Quality Materials
When buying materials for your diy outdoor paper towel holder, it’s essential to get high-quality materials for durability and safety.
Here are some tips on where to buy top-quality materials:
- Visit your local hardware store. They have many options for steel pipes, flanges, and end caps. You can also ask the experts there for advice on the best materials to use.
- Search online. Many online stores sell steel pipes, flanges, and end caps. Make sure to read reviews and check out the ratings of the seller before making your purchase.
- Compare prices. Don’t settle for the first offer you get. Compare prices and look for the best deals.
By following these tips, you’ll be sure to get the best materials for your diy outdoor paper towel holder project.
If you’re looking for a simple outdoor project to add to your diy list, an outdoor paper towel holder might just be what you’re looking for.
To get started, here’s a list of specific tools you’ll need for the project, along with a brief explanation of why each tool is necessary and some tips on where you can buy or rent them.
List Of Specific Tools Needed For The Project
- Electric drill: You’ll need an electric drill to make holes in the base of your towel holder, as well as for attaching the holder to your chosen surface. Look for a drill with a variable speed setting to ensure better control over your drill bit.
- Hole saw drill bit: This drill bit is specially designed for cutting larger, circular holes in materials like wood, metal, and even ceramic tile. You’ll need this bit to create the opening for the paper towel holder.
- Jigsaw: A jigsaw is necessary for cutting the curved slot into the side of your holder to accommodate the paper towel roll. Make sure to choose the right type of jigsaw blade for the material you’re cutting.
- Clamps: Clamps will come in handy for keeping your holder secure and in place while you drill and cut. Pick up a few of these at your local hardware store or rent them from a tool rental shop.
- Sandpaper: To give your holder a smooth finish and reduce any rough edges, you’ll need a piece of sandpaper. A medium-grit sandpaper should be ideal for smoothing out any rough spots in your holder.
- Safety goggles and gloves: When using power tools, it’s important to protect your eyes and hands from debris. Invest in a pair of safety goggles and work gloves to keep yourself safe while working on your diy project.
Finally, when shopping for tools, it’s worth checking out your local hardware store or online retailer for options that fit your budget and needs.
For one-time projects like this one, consider renting tools instead of buying them outright. Many hardware stores offer tool rentals at a reasonable price, which can save you money in the long run.
With these tools in hand, you’ll be well on your way to creating a functional and stylish outdoor paper towel holder that will be the envy of all your neighbors. So grab your equipment, put on your safety gear, and get to work!
Steps To Building A Diy Outdoor Paper Towel Holder
Building a diy outdoor paper towel holder is a practical and easy project that any diy enthusiast can tackle.
Whether you’re grilling, doing yard work, or just enjoying the outdoors, having a paper towel holder nearby can be handy for a quick clean-up.
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to build your own outdoor paper towel holder:
Step-By-Step Guide On Building The Holder
- Gather materials: You will need pvc pipes, a pvc elbow fitting, a wooden dowel, screws, a saw, and a drill.
- Cut pvc pipes: Cut one long pipe for the main body of the holder and two short pieces for the top and bottom sections.
- Drill holes: Drill holes for the wooden dowel to pass through the top and bottom pvc pipes.
- Connect pipes: Connect the pvc pipes and the elbow fitting to form the holder’s body.
- Cut wooden dowel: Cut the wooden dowel to fit the length of the holder.
- Insert dowel: Insert the wooden dowel through the drilled holes in the top and bottom pipes.
- Attach screws: Attach screws to secure the wooden dowel in place.
Now you have your very own outdoor paper towel holder.
But before you begin your project, here are a few tips to make the process easier:
Tips On How To Make The Project Easier
- Measure your space carefully before purchasing materials to ensure they fit and work together.
- Use a saw or pvc cutter to make precise cuts to avoid any mishaps or accidents.
- Test the fit of all parts before securing anything in place to ensure everything lines up and works smoothly.
- Add a coat of paint or outdoor treatment to pvc pipes and wood to protect your paper towel holder against the elements.
While building the outdoor paper towel holder is relatively simple, there are still a few common mistakes to avoid.
Here are some pieces of advice on how to prevent errors:
Advice On How To Avoid Common Mistakes
- Do not forget to measure, test, and cut correctly to avoid any mistakes that could lead to the paper towel holder’s instability.
- Use the screws correctly as they hold the wooden dowel in place and are crucial for the holder’s overall stability.
- Follow safety guidelines when using power tools like saws and drills to prevent injuries.
- Ensure the wooden dowel’s proper size and thickness to ensure it fits the pvc pipes properly and does not become loose.
Building a diy outdoor paper towel holder is an easy project that can save you money. However, it is essential to follow these instructions carefully to avoid any mistakes that could lead to future problems.
Step 1: Cutting The Wood
Are you tired of constantly running inside to grab a paper towel when you’re working on an outdoor project? Building your own outdoor paper towel holder is the perfect solution. We’ll go through the step-by-step process of creating your own diy outdoor paper towel holder.
Let’s get started with step 1: cutting the wood.
Description Of How To Cut The Wood To The Correct Dimensions
Before beginning the process of cutting your wood, it’s essential to gather all the necessary materials. Ensure you have a saw, measuring tape, wood screws, sandpaper, and wood glue.
For this diy project, you’ll need four pieces of 1×4 wood, each measuring 12 inches in length.
Follow these steps to cut your wood to the correct dimensions:
- Place your wood on a flat surface and measure out four pieces of 12 inches each using a measuring tape.
- Using a saw, carefully cut along the marked lines to create four uniform pieces of 1×4 wood.
- After cutting, use sandpaper to smooth out the edges and remove any rough surfaces.
Advice On Using A Saw Safely And Effectively
Using a saw can be intimidating, but with these safety tips, you’ll be able to cut your wood safely and effectively.
- Wear safety goggles and gloves to protect your eyes and hands.
- Before beginning to cut, ensure the saw is secured in a vise grip or a sawhorse to minimize movement.
- When cutting, always keep both hands on the saw and never reach past the blade.
- Take your time while sawing, and avoid rush cuts.
By following these steps and safety tips, you’ll be able to cut your wood to the correct dimensions efficiently and without any accidents. Stay tuned for step 2: assembling the base.
Step 2: Sanding And Finishing The Wood
Diy Outdoor Paper Towel Holder
Are you looking for a simple and budget-friendly way to add a stylish touch to your outdoor dining area?
Look no further than a diy outdoor paper towel holder! In just a few easy steps, you can create a custom and practical accessory for your patio or backyard.
Explanation Of Why Sanding And Finishing The Wood Is Important
When it comes to woodworking, sanding and finishing are key steps in the process. These steps not only ensure that your finished piece looks professional and polished but also prolong the life of the wood by adding a layer of protection.
Description Of The Best Methods For Sanding And Finishing
Here are the best methods to follow when sanding and finishing your outdoor paper towel holder:
- Start with a coarse grit sandpaper (around 80 to 100 grit), and work your way up to a finer grit (around 220 grit).
- Sand the wood in the direction of the grain using long, even strokes.
- Finish off the sanding process with a fine-grit sandpaper, such as 320 grit, to achieve a smooth and even surface.
- Before applying any finishes, ensure that the wood is clean and free of dust.
- Apply a protective coating, such as a clear polyurethane or outdoor varnish, with a brush or spray can.
- Allow the coat to dry completely before adding additional layers, typically around 2 to 3 coats are sufficient.
- If desired, lightly sand between coats for a smoother finish.
Tips On How To Achieve A Professional-Looking Finish
Follow these tips to ensure your outdoor paper towel holder looks professional and polished:
- Sand the wood properly before finishing to ensure a smooth surface and proper adhesion of coatings.
- Apply multiple thin coats instead of a few thick coats to achieve a smoother, more even finish.
- Allow each coat to dry completely before adding additional layers or handling the wood piece.
- Use a high-quality brush or spray can for a smoother and more professional-looking finish.
- If you want to achieve a more rustic look, consider applying a wood stain or painting the holder to match your outdoor space.
Whether you’re an experienced woodworker or just starting, this diy outdoor paper towel holder is a simple and fun project to undertake.
By following these sanding and finishing tips, you can create a custom and professional-looking piece that will last for many backyard barbecues to come.
Step 3: Assembling The Paper Towel Holder
If you love diy projects and want to add a personal touch to your outdoor space, creating your own paper towel holder is a great project to tackle.
Assembling the paper towel holder may seem daunting, but don’t worry; just follow these simple steps to ensure a successful and sturdy end product.
Explanation Of How To Assemble The Paper Towel Holder
To assemble your diy outdoor paper towel holder, follow these easy steps:
- Start by taking the wooden dowel and measuring it to fit the length of the base of the paper towel holder.
- Next, drill holes on either side of the wooden base, big enough for the dowel to fit snuggly in.
- Sand the wooden pieces down so they are smooth and free of any rough edges.
- Stain or paint the wooden base and dowel however you’d like.
- Once the pieces are dry, slide the dowel into the holes on the base.
- Finally, attach a hook or bracket to the bottom of the wooden base to hang the paper towel holder.
Tips On How To Ensure The Holder Is Sturdy And Level
While the assembly process may seem simple, it is crucial to ensure that the paper towel holder is sturdy and level for safety and function.
Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Measure carefully to ensure the wooden dowel is the correct length for the base.
- Be sure to drill the holes for the dowel at the correct distance apart.
- Use wood glue on the dowel before sliding it into the holes in the wooden base to ensure a tight fit.
- Make sure the hook or bracket is securely attached to the bottom of the wooden base for proper weight distribution.
- Use a level to ensure the paper towel holder hangs straight.
By following these tips and steps, you can create a beautiful and functional diy outdoor paper towel holder that will add a personal touch to your space.
Maintenance And Care
Diy Outdoor Paper Towel Holder: Maintenance And Care
Having a paper towel holder outside is an excellent addition to your outdoor kitchen.
Whether you are enjoying a summer barbecue or a simple patio dinner, a diy outdoor paper towel holder can help keep things organized, efficient, and cleaner. However, like any other outdoor item, your diy paper towel holder will eventually wear out.
Here are some tips on how to maintain the holder’s appearance, advice on how to keep the holder waterproof and protected, and ideas for customizing the holder to fit different outdoor decor styles.
Tips On How To Maintain The Holder’S Appearance
- Regularly wipe the holder with a soft cloth to get rid of any dust, dirt, and cobwebs.
- Polish the holder with stainless steel cleaner to maintain its shiny appearance.
- If you notice any rust spots, use a rust remover and then polish.
- To prevent rust formation, apply a thin layer of wax on the holder.
- If you have the wood holder, you may need to sand it down and apply a protective coat of varnish every few years to prevent weather damage.
Advice On How To Keep The Holder Waterproof And Protected
- If you have a wooden holder, seal it with outdoor wood sealer to protect it from rain and wind.
- For other materials, such as pvc pipes or metal pipes, you can apply a waterproof spray sealant to protect them from water damage.
- Always store the paper towels in a dry place to keep them away from moisture.
- If your paper towels get wet, replace them with a new roll as soon as possible to prevent mildew growth.
Ideas For Customizing The Holder To Fit Different Outdoor Decor Styles
- If you have a beach-themed outdoor kitchen, you can decorate your holder with seashells or starfish.
- For a rustic look, wrap rope around the holder or use a piece of aged wood as a base.
- Paint the holder with your favorite colors to match your outdoor furniture and decor.
- Add some hooks to the holder for additional storage of grill tools or kitchen utensils.
Having an outdoor paper towel holder is a useful and practical decoration for your outdoor kitchen. With proper maintenance and care, it can be a long-lasting and functional addition to your outdoor space.
FAQ About Diy Outdoor Paper Towel Holder
How Do I Make An Outdoor Paper Towel Holder?
To make an outdoor paper towel holder, you need a few items including wooden dowels and a bucket.
What Materials Do I Need For This Diy Project?
You will need wooden dowels, a bucket, a drill, sandpaper, spray paint, and a saw.
Can I Customize The Diy Paper Towel Holder?
Yes, you can customize the diy paper towel holder with various spray paint colors or by adding decorations.
How Long Does It Take To Make The Paper Towel Holder?
The time it takes to make the paper towel holder depends on your skill level, but it can take 1-2 hours.
Finally, you have successfully created a diy outdoor paper towel holder. Not only does it serve its practical purpose, but it also adds to the overall aesthetics of your outdoor space.
By following the simple steps outlined above, you can easily make a paper towel holder that is both eco-friendly and functional.
It is important to note that you can customize your paper towel holder based on your preferences and the materials you have available. Also, remember to regularly maintain the paper towel holder to ensure its longevity.
With this cost-effective and easy way to make a paper towel holder, you won’t have to worry about continuously buying new ones, instead, you’ll have a unique and sustainable addition to your outdoor area.
So next time you need a paper towel while enjoying your time outside, you’ll have the perfect holder readily available.