A DIY shop paper towel holder is an easy-to-make, cost-effective, and functional addition to any workshop, garage, or utility space where paper towels are frequently needed.
A DIY shop paper towel holder is a homemade solution for storing and dispensing paper towels with ease.
This practical item can be customized according to your needs and preferences, using materials that you may already have around your workshop or garage.
By creating your own paper towel holder, you can save money and add a personal touch to your workspace.
DIY shop paper towel holders can be made using a variety of materials, such as PVC pipes, wood, or metal rods. By repurposing items that you already have on hand, you can create an affordable and one-of-a-kind paper towel holder.
Additionally, these holders can be designed to mount on the wall, sit on a countertop, or attach to a mobile workbench, making them versatile for any workshop setup.
Creating DIY Shop Paper Towel Holder: Material, Tools & Step-by-Step Guide
|1||Wood (2×4), Saw||Cut the wood piece into three sections: two 12″ pieces and one 6″ piece.|
|2||Sandpaper (120 grit)||Sand all pieces of wood until they are smooth and free of splinters.|
|3||Drill, Screws||Attach the 6″ piece to the bottom of one 12″ piece using screws. This will serve as the base of the paper towel holder.|
|4||Drill, 1″ diameter dowel, Screws||Drill a hole on the top of the other 12″ piece and insert the dowel. Secure it with screws. This will serve as the rod on which the paper towel sits.|
|5||Wood Glue||Apply wood glue to attach the rod assembly to the base assembly.|
|6||Clamps||Use clamps to secure the pieces together while the wood glue dries.|
|7||Paint or Stain (optional)||Once the glue has dried, you can paint or stain the paper towel holder to your desired color.|
Five Facts About DIY Shop Paper Towel Holder
The Benefits Of Having A Diy Shop Paper Towel Holder
No matter how cautious you are, dirt, dust, and moisture will always accumulate in a workshop. That’s why having a diy shop paper towel holder is a small yet significant addition to maintaining a clean and organized workspace.
Here are some of the benefits of having one:
Keeps Your Working Area Clean And Organized
Keeping a shop clean can be quite challenging, but having a diy paper towel holder can help maintain cleanliness.
- You can quickly clean your workbench or tools without leaving your workspace.
- By having a designated place for your paper towels, it reduces the clutter in your shop.
- Absorbing all the moisture and dirt from your hands or tools can prevent debris buildup and the spread of rust. That saves you from more extensive and more expensive cleaning routines.
Saves You Time And Money
As they say, time is money, and a diy shop paper towel holder can help save both. Here’s how:
- You don’t have to take precious minutes going back and forth to your house or the sink to clean your hands or tools.
- A diy paper towel holder can be made using readily available materials or repurposed items. This way, you don’t have to spend the money on a pre-made holder.
Customizable To Your Precise Needs
One of the significant advantages of a diy shop paper towel holder is that you can make it precisely how you want it. That way, it can fit your specific needs.
- You can customize the size and shape to fit the space you have available in your workshop.
- Using materials like wood or metal, you can create a durable holder that fits any aesthetic or decor.
- You can also add features such as a trash bag holder or a spot for hand sanitizer or disinfectant wipes.
Having a diy paper holder in your workshop can make a big difference in keeping your working area clean and organized, saving you time and money, and customizing it to meet your specific needs. Plus, making one yourself adds a sense of pride and accomplishment to your project.
Before you start building your diy paper towel holder, you need to make sure you have all the necessary tools to complete the project.
The following are the tools required to build your paper towel holder:
- Drill: You will require a drill to make holes into the wood. Choose a drill bit that is slightly smaller than the screws you will use.
- Jigsaw: The jigsaw is a versatile tool to have for making the necessary cuts for your paper towel holder.
- Heavy-duty scissors or tin snips: Depending on the type of material you go for, heavy-duty scissors or tin snips may be necessary to cut the material to the correct size.
- Measuring tape: A measuring tape is necessary for taking all the necessary measurements to ensure everything fits together perfectly.
- Pencil: You will require a pencil for marking out where to drill holes and make cuts.
- Safety goggles: Safety first! While you work with your power tools, ensure you protect your eyes with safety goggles.
- Sandpaper: Smooth down the edges of the wood using sandpaper to give it a finished look.
With all these tools in place, let’s jump right into building your diy paper towel holder!
When it comes to creating a diy shop paper towel holder, you will need some materials to get started.
Here are the key items you’ll need:
- Plywood sheets: The first thing you need is a set of plywood sheets. You’ll want to choose the right size for your paper towel holder design.
- Sandpaper: Sandpaper is essential to smooth down any rough edges on the wood and make it perfect for holding a paper towel roll.
- Wood glue: You’ll need wood glue to secure all the parts together before adding screws or metal rods.
- Screws: Screws are important for holding the wooden parts together and ensuring your paper towel holder can withstand daily use.
- Metal rods: Metal rods are necessary for the paper towel roll to stay in place. Ensure that you buy appropriate length rods for your paper towel holder design.
Now that you have your materials ready, it’s time to begin crafting your diy shop paper towel holder.
Diy Shop Paper Towel Holder: Step-By-Step Instructions
Do you find yourself constantly losing your paper towels in the kitchen or searching for them when your hands are dirty? A paper towel holder can help you keep things organized and clean! Building one on your own can be a fun and rewarding project.
Here are the step-by-step instructions for creating a simple and elegant paper towel holder from plywood.
Measuring And Cutting Plywood Sheets
- Measure and mark a 12×12 inch square on a plywood sheet with a pencil and then use a saw to cut it out.
- Cut three one inch diameter dowels to a length of 14 inches each.
Creating The Base And Rods
- Begin by sanding both sides of the plywood square to get rid of any rough edges.
- Using a drill, make three holes in the center of the plywood sheet, evenly spaced apart. The holes should be slightly larger in diameter than the dowels.
- Screw in three eye hooks into the outer edges of the plywood base. These hooks will act as anchors for the wooden dowels.
- Insert the three dowels into the holes and place them in the eye hooks.
Building The Paper Towel Holder
- Using a drill, make a hole at the top of each dowel. The hole should be centered and 1 inch deep.
- Screw in an eye hook at the top of each dowel, using a wrench to tighten them securely.
- Cut the 1/4 inch wooden spool in half lengthwise, and use wood glue to attach them underneath the eye hooks. This will prevent the paper towel from sliding off.
Installing The Holder
- Sand the edges of the wooden spool and paint them in your desired color.
- Decorate the plywood base with any desired pattern or design and paint it.
- Put a roll of paper towel on the dowels and use a nut to hold it in place.
Voila! Your paper towel holder is now complete, and you’ve also added a little something extra to your kitchen decor.
This diy project is simply rewarding and can develop useful shop skills. With a few hours of work, you can have a holder that is both functional and uniquely your own.
If you’ve just finished making your very own diy shop paper towel holder, congratulations! You’ve taken a big step towards being more self-sufficient. But, as with every diy project, there’s always the possibility of running into some obstacles.
Here are some troubleshooting tips to help you fix a few common problems you might encounter:
Dealing With Wobbly Base
A wobbly base can be very frustrating, particularly when you need to tear off a towel quickly.
Here are some methods to prevent it from wobbling:
- Make sure that the base of your towel holder is wider than the diameter of your paper towel roll.
- Place a rubber mat or adhesive pad beneath the base of your towel holder. This will provide additional stability and prevent any slipping.
- Another option is to add weight to the bottom of the base by stuffing some sand or rocks inside.
Adjusting The Towel Holder’S Height
If you find that your towel holder isn’t at the right height to work comfortably with, here are a few tips to help you adjust it:
- Look for ways to make it taller or shorter without losing stability. For example, you can try using a different sized dowel or pole.
- Try shifting the mount up or down the pole to find the right place for you. You can also adjust the position of the support arms.
Fixing Loose Screws
If you’ve noticed that your towel holder is wobbling or the pole is slipping through the base, it might be time to tighten the screws.
Here are some tips for fixing loose screws:
- Identify where the loose screws are located and make sure to tighten them with the appropriate screwdriver.
- You can also add extra screws to stabilize any loose parts; just make sure they’re the same size as the others.
- If the screws are stripped or damaged, replace them before tightening them again.
By following these troubleshooting tips, you can make sure your diy shop paper towel holder is functioning properly. Good luck!
Contemporary And Rustic Designs
Are you tired of constantly losing your paper towels, or having them fall off their holders? Fear not, for we have the solution to this common issue! In this blog post, we will be discussing several diy methods to make your very own paper towel holder.
Keep reading as we explore contemporary and rustic designs to bring your kitchen together and make your life a little easier.
Modern Wooden Design
- Utilize smooth, sanded wood and paint it to your liking with a glossy coat.
- Drill a hole through the wooden base and insert a thin metal rod.
- Add another wooden piece on top to clamp the paper towel roll in place.
- Voila! You now have a stunning wooden paper towel holder that will surely be the crown jewel of your kitchen.
Rustic Iron Rod Design
- Gather an iron rod and a block of wood to serve as the base.
- Place a large washer onto the rod, followed by a wooden spool and a smaller washer.
- Insert the rod into the center of the wooden base and secure it with a nut.
- Finally, adjust the spool to fit the paper towel roll, and you’ve got yourself a simple and rustic paper towel holder!
Industrial Pipe Towel Holder
- Grab some lengths of metal piping, t-joints, and flanges from your nearest hardware store.
- Assemble the pieces with threaded pipes and glue them together.
- Paint or spray the metal as desired to give it a more polished look.
- And just like that, you’ve created an industrial-looking paper towel holder that will complement any modern or industrial kitchen decor.
- Mix and match materials and styles to personalize your paper towel holder.
- Utilize leftover pieces of wood, antique doorknobs, or even repurpose an old utensil holder.
- Be creative and let your imagination run wild with this fun and practical project.
- The possibilities are endless, and you’ll be sure to find the perfect design that suits your style and preferences.
A diy paper towel holder is not only an excellent way to avoid losing your paper towels, but it’s also an excellent way to personalize your kitchen.
By following these simple instructions, you’ll be able to choose from contemporary wooden designs, rustic iron rod holders, or even industrial-style pipe holders.
With customizable designs, there’s no limit to the creativity and personal flair you can add to this essential kitchen accessory. So what are you waiting for? Start creating your own unique paper towel holder today!
FAQ On Diy Shop Paper Towel Holder
How Can I Make Diy Paper Towel Holder?
All you need is some wood, screws, a drill, and a saw. Check out our blog post for step-by-step instructions.
What Are The Benefits Of Using A Diy Paper Towel Holder?
Using a diy paper towel holder can help save money, reduce waste, and create a unique decor piece for your home.
How Long Does It Take To Make A Diy Paper Towel Holder?
The time it takes to make a diy paper towel holder will vary depending on your skills. But it should take about an hour or less.
How Do I Maintain And Clean My Diy Paper Towel Holder?
Simply wipe it down with a damp cloth or paper towel. Use a wood cleaner or polish to keep it looking shiny and new.
Overall, making your own diy paper towel holder for your shop is a brilliant idea! You save money, you’re able to customize it to your taste and needs, and you can create a unique piece that reflects your personality.
Also, knowing you can reuse everyday items that you have lying around makes this project even more exciting. You don’t need many tools, just follow the simple steps outlined here and voila, you have a practical and stylish accessory for your workspace.
Plus, you may even be inspired to create other diy projects for your shop or home. With just a bit of creativity and resourcefulness, anything is possible. So, grab your materials and let’s diy!